Monday, June 2, 2014

Getting Advice About Genetic Testing

I recently received a call at work from an individual asking for advice about genetic testing.  While I welcome questions and comments on my blog posts, I don't think this was an appropriate course of action.  I don't think it is a huge problem (this is the first time this happened in the 3+ years since I wrote my most commonly viewed blog post), and I think this individual raised some interesting questions.  However, I think it may be important provide a brief description of myself and the role of my blog:

 I am an analyst that often studies (de-identified) patient samples for biomedical research, and it is probably safe to say I have an above-average knowledge about genetics.  However, I am not a medical professional, and I never provide consulting about genetic testing at any point during my job.  In fact, a large portion of my research involves projects that do not look for mutations in a subject's DNA sequence.  In other words, everything I write on my blog about genetic testing is my own personal perspective, independent of any professional responsibilities.

Of course, that leaves the obvious question:

Where can I find someone to discuss genetic testing options?

I would recommend contacting a genetic counselor if you wish to talk to somebody one-on-one about genetic testing options and what action can be taken as a result of those tests.  The National Society of Genetic Counselors has a tool to find a genetic counselor near you:

Again, I should emphasize that I am not a genetic counselor myself: if you are genetic counselor or medical geneticist with a better recommendation, I would encourage you to post a comment to this blog post.

1 comment:

  1. It was a nice article on genetic testing. Genetic testing help to find out complete DNA report and your study medical health.
    Original gene


Creative Commons License
My Biomedical Informatics Blog by Charles Warden is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.